His Master’s Voice - Nipper, the RCA dog
up:date June 10, 2022 by Bonn Brandt
Fox terrier Nipper, whose favourite pastime was to curiously look into the horn of a phonograph and search in vain for the source of the sound became the most famous dog illustration of the world.
The title "His Master's Voice" and the accompanying logo originated from French painter Francis Barraud, who had composed a portrait of his dog Nipper in 1898, painted from memory. Nipper had already died three years prior to Barraud's portraiture.
The Gramophone Company, founded by Emil Berliner, bought the painting and copyright from Barraud for £100 in 1899 to use in its newspaper advertisements.
The originally depicted Edison phonograph was repainted with a Berlin Gramophone. Initially, the logo was featured in advertisements. Beginning in 1903, the logo was used on tin cans containing sets of about 100 styli.
As a result, the brand became so widely recognised that the Gramophone Company changed its name to "His Master's Voice" in 1909.
Victor Dog’ & ‘His Master’s Voice’, in short and Nipper is an enduring and cultural icon who has enchanted the music industry and the whole world.
- Limited Edition
- Jans Bock-Schroeder
- Edition 2/3
- Negative Date: 1993
- Print Date: 2022
- Size: 40 x 50 cm
- Provenance: Bock-Schroeder Foundation
- Verso: Copyright stamp
- Signed by Jans Bock-Schroeder.
- Verso: Copyright stamp, Signature, Edition-Number 2/3
- Printed from the original Negative
- Analog Handprint in Museum Quality on Barytha Paper
- Price includes tax, shipping, packaging and insurance.
- Delivery takes about 14 workdays.
- In-Person and Remote Viewings by appointment.
In photography, the term vintage print refers to a print that was made by the photographer immediately after the roll of film was developed and the negative was produced. Generally a vintage print is regarded a precious first print.
Originals, Modern Prints, are highly sought-after collectable photographic prints. They are printed in limited edition from the original negative. Every analog hand print is certified and editioned. The limited edition notice guarantees the uniqueness of each print.
- Unique: One of a kind piece, created by Peter Bock-Schroeder (1913-2001)
- Limited edition: Original works created in limited edition, supervised by Jans Bock-Schroeder.
- Made-to-order: A hand made print that is made-to-order.
- Shipping cost worldwide, packaging and insurance for your artwork, is covered by the Bock-Schroeder Foundation.
- After you have completed your online order, you will receive an order confirmation by email. When the work is shipped you receive a second mail with the tracking number that allows you to follow your order’s status as well as the invoice for your ordered item.
- Your online order is secured using modern SSL encryption. This way, we meet the standards for modern online purchases and always guarantee you the securest of transactions.
- We work exclusively with certified shipping partners. These vary depending on the size of the art you order and the country it is being delivered to. DHL, UPS, Hermes, DPD, FedEx, and GLS are among the companies we trust.
- Delivery takes about 10 workdays.
- Do not hesitate to contact us at any time with any questions: about payment, delivery or anything else. Contact: +49 174 450 64 69 | mail (at) bock-schroeder.com
The Bock-Schroeder-Foundation is the sole representative of the works of Peter Bock-Schroeder and thus has unique and exclusive access to these rare and unique works. The Bock Schroeder Foundation collaborates with public, corporate and private art collections around the world. In addition to renowned and distinguished art collections, the Bock Schroeder Foundation also advises individuals and collectors who are in the process of establishing a collection.
Photo Collector's Newsletter
A monthly newsletter for photography collectors