Irish shark fishery on Achill Island
up:date April 5, 2021 by Jans Bock-Schroeder
The warm waters of Clew Bay, a result of the nearby Gulf Stream, lured basking sharks, which local fishermen caught with harpoons and nets. Keem Bay used to be the largest basking shark fishery in the world.
The basking shark, listed as "endangered" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, is harmless to divers and snorkelers despite its size and imposing appearance. By 1962 the Achilles shark fishery for basking sharks had more or less stopped after a decade of record catches. Almost every household had a boat, and many of the residents were trained fishermen. Today Keem Bay is one of the most popular and beautiful tourist destinations in Mayo, Ireland.
- Original - Made to Order
- Peter Bock-Schroeder (1913-2001)
- Edition 1/3
- Negative Date: 1956
- Print Date: 2021
- Size: 50 x 50 cm
- Provenance: Bock-Schroeder Foundation
- Verso: Copyright stamp
- Signed by Jans Bock-Schroeder, the artist’s son.
- Verso: Copyright stamp, Signature, Edition-Number
- Printed from the original Negative
- Analog Handprint in Museum Quality on Barytha Paper
- Price includes tax, shipping, packaging and insurance.
- Delivery takes about 14 workdays.
- In-Person and Remote Viewings by appointment.
In photography, the term vintage print refers to a print that was made by the photographer immediately after the roll of film was developed and the negative was produced. Generally a vintage print is regarded a precious first print.
Originals, Modern Prints, are highly sought-after collectable photographic prints. They are printed in limited edition from the original negative. Every analog hand print is certified and editioned. The limited edition notice guarantees the uniqueness of each print.
- Unique: One of a kind piece, created by Peter Bock-Schroeder (1913-2001)
- Limited edition: Original works created in limited edition, supervised by Jans Bock-Schroeder.
- Made-to-order: A hand made print that is made-to-order.
- Shipping cost worldwide, packaging and insurance for your artwork, is covered by the Bock-Schroeder Foundation.
- After you have completed your online order, you will receive an order confirmation by email. When the work is shipped you receive a second mail with the tracking number that allows you to follow your order’s status as well as the invoice for your ordered item.
- Your online order is secured using modern SSL encryption. This way, we meet the standards for modern online purchases and always guarantee you the securest of transactions.
- We work exclusively with certified shipping partners. These vary depending on the size of the art you order and the country it is being delivered to. DHL, UPS, Hermes, DPD, FedEx, and GLS are among the companies we trust.
- Delivery takes about 10 workdays.
- Do not hesitate to contact us at any time with any questions: about payment, delivery or anything else. Contact: +49 174 450 64 69 | mail (at) bock-schroeder.com
The Bock-Schroeder-Foundation is the sole representative of the works of Peter Bock-Schroeder and thus has unique and exclusive access to these rare and unique works. The Bock Schroeder Foundation collaborates with public, corporate and private art collections around the world. In addition to renowned and distinguished art collections, the Bock Schroeder Foundation also advises individuals and collectors who are in the process of establishing a collection.